Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Walk to Remember -- Paradise to Kukatpally

It started like any other Saturday - with me not wanting to wake up at 6.00 am, like I would on a weekday. Maid problems - like any other day and I dealt with it like I would do any day :) We were supposed to drop off our car for service in Ranigunj (near Tank Bund) at 9.00 am and we promptly started from home at 9.10 am, like anyone would do in India any day:) We drove for 23 km's to reach our destination and were done with paper-work by 10.30 am.

It was then that I decided to take a long walk and if possible walk all 23 km back. Insane idea - one might think, but we just started walking. Around 2 km later we found a roadside bookstore near General Bazaar and I bought a few books there. 3 Madhubabu novels and 2 Tinkle double digests. Then we saw Cherma's where Suman told me they used to shop many years ago:) Then we walked to Paradise and since it wasn't open for business yet, we ate a few snacks and resumed our walk.

We walked past Old Airport, Shoppers Stop, Lifestyle and Country Club. On the right I saw Hyderabad Public School for the first time. It was a beautiful white building with a huge playground:) Then we took a right to head to Ameerpet and shopped at a shoe store named MSL- More Shoes for Less. Never did I imagine that I would shop in a store named such!! I could feel blisters on my feet and wanted more convenient footwear. Ended up buying 2 pairs and wore the walking slippers immediately. Once we reached Ameerpet we decided to buy some biryani from Suman's favorite biryani place in S.R.Nagar - Madhura Biryani. We reached S.R.Nagar and ordered the biryani. While waiting we had some roasted corn cobs... yummmyyyy..

Once we reached Erragadda, we were all sweaty and tanned. On a sudden impulse Suman suggested we watch 'Badrinath' in Gokul theater and even though there was a line, I was told that there is a separate Ladies queue:) I bought the movie tickets in no time. It was around 1.45 then. There was 1 whole hour to spend before the movie started. We wandered around a bit and ended up having lunch at Sanman Restaurant.

It was time for the movie and some relaxation. It wasn't a bad movie but could have been much better, definitely without the songs which were sore to the ears but dances were very good nevertheless. We came out of the theater at 5.25.

Then we walked again. We walked till Moosapet and it was now time for Suman to buy a pair of shoes:) We walked till Kukatpally and then hired an auto to Miyapur crossroads as it was about to rain and also India-WI match was due to begin soon..

Around 16 km and 1 last kilometer from Miyapur main road till our home. Never felt the last km distance would feel so small:) After a shower and biryani from Madhura, I wanted to recollect the day as it went by and blog it so I could re-visit it whenever I wanted to.

Am tired, tanned, blistered and very very drowsy but have a sense of accomplishment that cannot be taken away:) Some day I wish to do this all over again and may be walk all the way home. I don't suppose I will wake up early tomorrow morning - like I would have done on any other Sunday!!

No comments: