Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 1 in Hawaii ...

This was perhaps the most awaited trip for me.. Hawaii.. Fifteen years after I had first set foot in the US, did I get to travel here. The long wait included a couple of bookings and cancellations for the same vacation.. Man, did we wait a long time for this..

Suman and I woke up at 5 am in the morning for our big trip and were ready by 7. We had hired a chauffeured car to take us to the SFO airport. The driver was a very old/sweet guy who definitely gave our day a very good start. After a not-so-organised security/boarding we were finally en-route. Aloha Hawaii, here we come:) (Aloha as in Hi)

After what would be described as a smooth take-off, we encountered some very strong turbulence. I was literally thinking my last thoughts of how it would all end... Well, fear of death could do that to you, if you are as scared of flight as I am.. Aloha Hawaii, we might never meet (Aloha as in Bye) :( it is when my dear hubby comes up with some reassuring statements like 'we are going to be okay. It's fine'.. And suddenly starts to sing this song from Lootera 'Zinda Hun Yaar, Kaafi Hai' .. Talk about timing.. I just couldn't help but laugh at that.. Rest of our flight was pretty uneventful.

As we we about to land Suman started taking pictures of an island below us, which I first thought was   Oahu, but then when we finally landed in Honolulu, it remains to be seen what island that actually was. We picked up our car at the rental agency and while we were driving, our firsts experience in Hawaii was a bit underwhelming. It looked like many places I have been to viz. Acapulco, Araku to name a few.. Aloha Hawaii, what have you in store for us? :( (aloha as in a bit disappointed )

After a long wait for check-in at our hotel, Hilton Hawaiian Village at Waikiki, we just crashed in our room. The kadhai panner that I got along with a couple of paratha's was very helpful and so were the sandwiches. We just gobbled it all up and rested for about an hour. We had been upgraded to a suite with two balconies instead of a standard room, with partial ocean view and a full lagoon view where people were completely enjoying themselves. And then, there was life everywhere around me ..Aloha Hawaii, I think I am going to like you (aloha as in 'not bad at all')

We started walking around the Village as they call it, which has some 90 odd shops, and realised that the beach was just a couple of minutes away for our block, I mean literally 2 minutes. It was very sunny outside and we stuck to some shopping/walking. Came back to our room for a bit, changed into our newly bought Hawaiian clothes and then went out just in time for sunset. The colours were un-bloody-believable. The was too much serenity for me to put into words, but it just felt as if there could be no better place I'd rather be at that time... Nature can do that to you :) Aloha Hawaii, you are special indeed. (Aloha as in beautiful)

Soon after the sunset, the flames were lit on the Waikiki beach and live bands started to show their talents, as the ocean showed it's own. It was a sight to behold!! We passed a couple of beaches during our walk and before we knew we were 2 miles away. There was one Hula performance that we saw along our way, a bit too slow and boring for my taste, but is was well-coordinated :) The were lots and lots of stores we walked past on our way back and we crossed over to walk by the beach again. Though we were tired and feet started to hurt, we kept walking. The sky was so clear and a couple of stars so bright, I could keep looking at them forever. Now this was life like I had never seen before. Aloha Hawaii, I could get used to you. (Aloha as in 'I love it here')

Back in our suite, after quick shower and dinner, we quickly fell asleep, anticipating what the next day had in store for us. Aloha Hawaii, for a better tomorrow. (Aloha as in 'good night')

Until tomorrow.. Where I hope to continue ..

1 comment:

Syam said...

I wish to be there someday!